Nikon has release a firmware update for the D500 with some minor fixes. Here is what they have to say about it on their download page:
Select your operating system.
- Mac OS
This software update program is for the customer-owned product listed above (the “affected product”), and is provided only on acceptance of the agreement listed below. By selecting “Accept” and clicking “Download”, you are held to have accepted the terms and conditions of the agreement. Be sure you understand the terms of the agreement before beginning download.
- • This service supplies software that can be used to update the D500 camera “C” firmware to version 1.10. Before proceeding, select Firmware version in the camera SETUP MENU and check the camera firmware version. You will not need to download or install this update if the firmware listed above is already installed.
- • Read the information below before proceeding.
- Changes from “C” Firmware Version 1.02 to 1.10
- • Added support for the iOS version of SnapBridge.
- • Changed some help text.
- • Fixed the following issues:
- – Images would not display correctly if playback zoom was used during image review.
- – The focus point display would not light if the shutter-release button was pressed halfway after the standby timer had expired.
- – The camera would stop responding if a command dial was used in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU > f Controls > f1 Custom control assignment > Movie record button + menu.
- – If an option other than Off was selected for Active D-Lighting in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU, pictures taken with an optional flash unit in auto aperture (AA), non-TTL auto (A), or distance-priority manual (GN) flash mode would be underexposed.
- Changes from Previous Versions
- Changes from “C” Firmware Version 1.01 to 1.02
- • Addressed an issue that sometimes caused errors with certain UHS-II SD memory cards. As we were able to confirm that these were read errors arising not in the camera but in the cards themselves, we addressed the issue with a work-around that switches temporarily to UHS-I mode when a card-side error occurs in UHS-II mode. The camera switches back to UHS-II mode when turned off and then on again or when the standby timer restarts. Card-side read errors may still occur after the update, albeit very infrequently.
Changes from “C” Firmware Version 1.00 to 1.01
- • Fixed an issue that sometimes resulted in the options for SETUP MENU > Language not displaying correctly.
- Viewing the Camera Firmware Version
- Turn the camera on.
- Press the camera MENU button and select Firmware version in the SETUP MENU to display the camera firmware version.
- Check the camera firmware version.
- Turn the camera off.
- Product Description
Name D500 “C” Firmware Version 1.10 Supported cameras D500 Supported camera firmware versions “C” firmware versions 1.00–1.02 File name F-D500-V110W.exe System requirements
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home
- Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
- Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 8.1
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
- Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
- Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
- Microsoft Windows Vista Business
- Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
Note: Card reader or computer with built-in memory-card slot required.
Copyright Nikon Corporation Archive type Self-extracting Reproduction Not permitted
- Updating the Camera Firmware
- Create a folder on the computer hard disk and name it as desired.
- Download F-D500-V110W.exe to the folder created in Step 1.
- Run F-D500-V110W.exe to extract the following file to a folder named “D500Update”:
• D500_0110.bin (the camera firmware)
- Using a card slot or card reader, copy “D500_0110.bin” to a memory card that has been formatted in the camera.
- Insert the memory card into the camera and turn the camera on.
- Select Firmware version in the SETUP MENU and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the firmware update.
- Once the update is complete, turn the camera off and remove the memory card.
- Confirm that the firmware has been updated to the new version.
Note: For more detailed instructions or information on the equipment needed to complete the update, download the following pdf file:
DSLR_Firmup_Win_En.pdf (PDF) (0.21 MB)
Note: Updates can be performed for you by a Nikon-authorized service representative.
To download the firmware and update your Nikon D500 head on over to the Nikon download page here.