D5 Firmware Information
Here is the listing for the new firmware update from Nikon’s Download Center.
Select your operating system.
- Mac OS
This software update program is for the customer-owned product listed above (the “affected product”), and is provided only on acceptance of the agreement listed below. By selecting “Accept” and clicking “Download”, you are held to have accepted the terms and conditions of the agreement. Be sure you understand the terms of the agreement before beginning download.
- • This service supplies software that can be used to update the D5 camera “C” firmware to version 1.10. Before proceeding, selectFirmware version in the camera SETUP MENU and check the camera firmware version. You will not need to download or install this update if the firmware listed above is already installed.
- • Read the information below before proceeding.
IMPORTANT: Firmware updates cannot be performed if ON is currently selected for Network > Network connection in theSETUP MENU. Select OFF for Network connection before proceeding.
- Changes from “C” Firmware Version 1.00 to 1.10
- • The camera can now record movies up to 29 minutes and 59 seconds long. Movies are recorded across up to 8 files, each up to 4 GB size, which can be joined together using the ViewNX-Movie Editor option in ViewNX-i version 1.2.0 or later. *
- • An Electronic VR option has been added to the MOVIE SHOOTING MENU. Note that electronic vibration reduction is not available at frame sizes of 3840×2160 or 1920×1080 crop, and that the angle of view is slightly reduced when electronic vibration reduction is in effect. *
- • A Flicker reduction option has been added to the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU. *
- • Dynamic-area AF (9 points) has been added to the AF-area mode options available during viewfinder photography. *
- • The chief changes to viewfinder photography autofocus are:
- – Improved camera response when the button assigned Auto-area AF using Custom Setting f1 (Custom control assignment) > AF-area mode or AF-area mode + AF-ON is pressed to temporarily select auto-area AF.
- – Improved tracking when Wide is selected for Custom Setting a5 (3D-tracking watch area) and 3D-tracking is selected for AF-area mode.
- • The following changes have been made to the shooting display in the web browser when Silent photography is selected in HTTP server mode:
- – An “SL” (“silent”) icon has been added to the release mode button.
- – The “number of shots remaining” display for continuous release modes now shows the time remaining.
- – Exposure compensation can now be adjusted by up to ±3.
- • The file name (extension “.NDF”) is now displayed in HTTP server mode when Image Dust Off data are displayed in a web browser either full frame or in the image viewer.
- • The web browser displays for computers, iPads, and Android OS now identify white balance presets 1 through 6 by number when preset manual white balance is selected in HTTP server mode.
- • If movie recording is started while the camera is focusing in movie live view, the camera will now stop focusing before beginning recording.
- • Fixed the following issues:
- – The camera would sometimes record the date of recording incorrectly during leap years and the like.
- – The Save/load settings option in the SETUP MENU would only load up to 10 of the up to 20 items that could be stored in “My Menu”.
- – The camera would display the encryption key for Direct (access point) connections when searching for wireless networks using Search for wireless network with Direct (access point) selected in the SETUP MENU > Network connection wizard.
- – The device would sometimes be unable to connect to the D5 when Connect and exit wizard was chosen with Direct (access point) selected in the SETUP MENU > Network connection wizard.
- – The OS X edition of the Wireless Transmitter Utility would not function as expected when used to edit or add profiles for a camera connected via USB if Password protection was enabled for wireless or Ethernet LANs in the Network > Network settings menu.
- – The camera would sometimes not correctly display pictures created using the Trim option in the RETOUCH MENU.
- – If playback zoom was activated while the memory card access lamp was lit, the picture would sometimes not display correctly or the camera would zoom in on a point other than the active focus point if:
- • RAW Slot 1 – JPEG Slot 2 was selected for Role played by card in Slot 2 in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU,
- • On was selected for Image review in the PLAYBACK MENU,
- • Memory cards were inserted in Slots both 1 and 2, and
- • The NEF (RAW) and JPEG images were different sizes
* Details can be found in an updated edition of the camera manual.
- Viewing the Camera Firmware Version
- Turn the camera on.
- Press the camera MENU button and select Firmware version in the SETUP MENU to display the camera firmware version.
- Check the camera firmware version.
- Turn the camera off.
- Product Description
Name D5 “C” Firmware Version 1.10 Supported cameras D5 Supported camera firmware versions “C” firmware version 1.00 File name F-D5-V110W.exe System requirements
- Microsoft Windows 10 Home
- Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
- Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 8.1
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
- Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
- Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
- Microsoft Windows Vista Business
- Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
Note: Card reader or computer with built-in memory-card slot required.
Copyright Nikon Corporation Archive type Self-extracting Reproduction Not permitted
- Updating the Camera Firmware
- Create a folder on the computer hard disk and name it as desired.
- Download F-D5-V110W.exe to the folder created in Step 1.
- Run F-D5-V110W.exe to extract the following file to a folder named “D5Update”:
• D5__0110.bin (the camera firmware)
- Using a card slot or card reader, copy “D5__0110.bin” to a memory card that has been formatted in the camera.
- Insert the memory card into the Slot 1 on the camera and turn the camera on.
- Select Network in the SETUP MENU and confirm that OFF is selected for Network connection.
- Select Firmware version in the SETUP MENU and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the firmware update.
- Once the update is complete, turn the camera off and remove the memory card.
- Confirm that the firmware has been updated to the new version.
Note: For more detailed instructions or information on the equipment needed to complete the update, download the following pdf file:
DSLR_Firmup_Win_En.pdf (PDF) (0.21 MB)
Note: Updates can be performed for you by a Nikon-authorized service representative.
To download the new firmware update for the Nikon D5 head on over to Nikon’s Download Center.