First Macro Lens in the Canon EF-M lens series
Photographers looking for a compact, lightweight macro lens should look no further than the Canon EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM lens, the first Canon Macro Lens specifically designed for the EOS M Camera System.
The new lens features a pair of built-in miniature Macro Lite electronic flash units that illuminate close-up subjects as needed, helping to freeze movement, enhance color accuracy and provide a better sense of depth and dimension. Two curved flash units surround the front element of the lens, with the ability to illuminate both simultaneously, or one at a time. Users are also able to adjust the brightness of the Macro Lites between “bright” and “dim” settings.
The standard focusing range of the Canon EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM lens extends from infinity to life-size (1 time). Additionally, a Super Macro Mode allows shooting at even higher magnifications up to 1.2 times. This feature allows you to capture smaller details that really make your subjects stand out against the background.
Additional features of the Canon EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM lens include:
- Hybrid IS, the same feature as found on Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens, helps reduce camera shake for enjoyable handheld photography.
- Stepping motor (lead screw-type STM) helps provide smooth and quiet focusing operation when taking photos, and near-silence when shooting videos.
- One UD lens and two aspherical lenses** help deliver outstanding image quality at all distance settings by reducing chromatic and spherical aberrations.
- Angle of view similar to a 45mm standard lens (35mm equivalent) provides flexible image capture of various subjects and scenes at macro distances and beyond.
- Tapered lens top shape makes it easy to capture high-quality images at close range without casting shadows.
The Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT electronic flash unit is scheduled to be available through authorized Canon dealers in June 2016 for an estimated retail price of $579.991. Canon’s EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM lens is scheduled to be available through authorized Canon dealers in June for an estimated retail price of $299.991.
1 Availability, pricing and specifications are subject to change without notice. Actual prices are set by individual dealers and may vary.
* Based on Canon’s standards. As compared to the Speedlite 600EX-RT.
** Among autofocus lenses for interchangeable lens cameras. As of May 11, 2016, based on Canon’s research.
Canon EF-M 28mm F3.5 Macro IS STM specifications
|Lens type||Prime lens|
|Max Format size||APS-C / DX|
|Image stabilisation||Yes (3.5 stops)|
|Lens mount||Canon EF-M|
|Special elements / coatings||One UD and two aspherical elements|
|Minimum focus||0.09 m (3.54″)|
|Motor type||Stepper motor|
|Full time manual||Yes|
|Focus method||Extending front|
|Weight||130 g (0.29 lb)|
|Diameter||61 mm (2.4″)|
|Length||46 mm (1.79″)|
|Hood product code||ES-22|